Drag and drop?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Mar 4 11:53:08 EST 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:43 AM, DunbarX at aol.com wrote:

> Is this implemented in Rev?
>
> I made it work in HC by creating   transparent text fields the size
> and shape
> of some selected text, and with the commandKey down, so that the
> selectedText
> can be harvested, fill that field. It worked on mouseDown, and the
> field
> tracked the mouseLoc until the mouse was released, dropping the text
> into the
> mouseLoc. A real kluge, but it works.
>
> Do I have to do this in Rev, too?

Craig,

For many things, like dragging text between fields, it Just Works™.
Try it. For dragging objects within a card, check out the grab command:

on mouseDown
   grab me
end mouseDown

Then handle the drop portion on mouseUp.

For more complex drag and drop operations, including dragging objects
between windows, there is a whole set of nice tools. I haven't had
occasion to need them yet, but I'm sure others will chime in. And the
late great Eric Chatonet wrote a very nice tutorial on drag and drop.
See <http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/?r=revolution_index&l=en>

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay