Rev cgi way to GET browser info

SparkOut SparkOutYNY at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:42:29 EST 2009

$HTTP_USER_AGENT will return the browser reference string, but you may well
have to parse it quite substantially to extract the actual distinct version
of a given browser.

For instance, on my XP machine, Internet Explorer 7 reports: Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR
2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648)

from which you can determine the MSIE 7.0 part quite readily. Some browsers
do not report the information as unambigously, although I think these days
most are pretty sensible.
On the same system Opera reports: Opera/9.62 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en-GB)
Presto/2.1.1
Firefox gives: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.6)
Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6

HTH