Array Coolness

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Mar 2 15:24:05 EST 2009

Okay, I am now a staunch believer in Rev Arrays. I query every column
in my app's SQL database (SELECT *), but now I need to reorder the
columns, because the Listmagic widget has the capability of displaying
some columns and not others simply by assigning a number to a
property. All columns up to and including that number get displayed,
all others are hidden, ok?

So rather than rearranging my SQL data, I need to rearrange the data
returned from my query instead. What I need is a way to go through all
the columns and "move" every column I don't want displayed to the
"end" of the array. So I decided I would put Rev Arrays to the test
like so:

         put theColumns & return & theData into theTableData
         split theTableData by column
         set the itemdelimiter to tab
         put the number of items of theColumns into theColumnCount
         set the itemdelimiter to comma
         put theTableData[1] into theTableData[theColumnCount + 1]
         delete variable theTableData[1]
         combine theTableData by column

theColumns is a tab delimited list of the SQL column names, and
theData is a tab delimited list of the SQL data. After running this
script, lo and behold, what was the first column in the array is now
the last! THAT IS AWESOME! Great job Runtime Revolution!

BTW wouldn't it be great if the new Table Object in the upcoming Rev
4.0 would accept arrays?

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management