Any thoughts on speed limitations of Revlet?

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 25 00:11:10 EDT 2009

Before I begin to dream about the potential of Revlet, I would like to
have some idea about the potential, particularly the speed in running
graphics.

Just for fun I ran a small part of a stack meant to demonstrate the
physics behind the rainbow. The stack, as  a Revlet in Safari,  is
very slow; bordering  on the prohibitive. (Maybe that's what Clinton
had in mind when he said before his first election that he smoked
marijuana but he didn't inhale. He was only bordering on the
prohibitive?)

Since the Revlet app is downloaded to one's computer, it is not
running off of the cloud. It runs off the desktop plug in--but it is
displayed in a web browser.

Anyone have any idea how this will limit the computational or display
speed of Revlet? Are the speed problems primarily associated with
display? Maybe it is too early to ask this question.

Jim Hurley

P.S. The stack I tried was "RainbowTest.rev" and if you are interested
you can see it in action by running the line below in the message box.
And if you have Rev 4.0 you can create your own test by saving it for
the web.

go url "http://www.jamesphurley.com/RainbowTest.rev"

Not only does the "mouseMove" handler run lethargically, but the image
(a flashlight, or up in Scotland, a torch) carrying that script breaks
up on the screen, i.e. the image breaks up into two separate parts. Odd.