[OT] Epic fail software testing

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Fri Jul 24 15:17:46 EDT 2009

Le 24 juil. 09 à 18:19, SparkOut a écrit :

> Sarah Reichelt-2 wrote:
>>
>> <http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/25/2038217>
>> Sooooo - we do all test our apps? Right?
>>

> It's not the only example of software problems with "extreme value
> systems":
> http://www.savive.com/casestudy/ariane5.html
> (I remember vividly because in the months prior to the launch I had
> made a
> "day trip" from the UK to Florida with a part of the payload as hand
> luggage. It was to be integrated into a system in Cape Canaveral,
> and then
> rebuilt into a satellite for launch from French Guiana.)
> --

from what I heard from somebody who is really close to what happened
in flight 501, the problem what actually diluted responsibility.
Aerospatiale was the industrial project supervisor, but the final
implementation of the GNC (guidance, navigation, control) into the
actual hardware was subcontracted to another company. It seems that
this company made the error at this stage, however it was the
responsibility of the supervisor to make sure that things were done
right. Doing a full check would have  probably implied some meddling
with the contractor's intellectual and industrial property.
This potentially can happen in any collaboration, especially between
competitors.

cheers
	François