cell-phone HTML form using post method

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 07:03:11 EDT 2009

> I'm aiming to make a form accessible by
> Japanese cellphones, which runs as an
> irev file on my on-rev web-account, and
> which uses a post method.
>
> Not being well-versed in coding HTML forms,
> I've been studying and adapting irev examples
> that other list members have kindly offered
> online (thank you in particular to Sarah for
> http://troz.on-rev.com/links.irev ).
>
> Anyway, I've managed to make a form that
> works on a web-browser, i.e., the globals
> $_SERVER and $_POST exist and contain
> data sent by the form.
>
> But, when visiting the very same form with my
> cellphone browser, only the global $_SERVER
> exits, and $_POST, as far as I can tell, does not.

Does it work if you visit my simple test form at
<http://troz.on-rev.com/form.irev>?
I have tried that on my iPhone and it works fine.

What cell phone browser are you using? Some of them are only WAP
browsers, not true web browsers and they may not be able to handle
forms in the same way.

Looking at the examples you give, I can only see 2 real differences:
#1 & #2 specify enctype="multipart/form-data"
#3 includes: <input type="hidden" name="action" value="post">

It would certainly do no harm to try both of these.

#1 also uses https, but I would suspect that of being less likely to
work, not more likely.

Cheers,
Sarah