[ANN]: Gradient Kaleidoscope Galleries (and Rev 3.5 still crashing)

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Mon Jul 20 14:26:44 EDT 2009

Before I answer Bernard Devlin's post below, let me mention that I have
uploaded an additional Gallery page, this time containing only 8 images

<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia/GradientKaleidoscopeGallery4.htm>.

The cause why I did that is mainly that I stumbled across a phenomenon
that was really new to me. The first picture of Gallery 4 "Floating
Blue", blue structures on a red background, conveys the impression -
although it is a JPEG - that it is three-dimensional, the blue parts
floating somehow 2 millimeters above the red background.

The other seven images are kaleidoscopes based on rather fine gradient
material (which I like very much, but that is an individually personal
thing).--

On Sun Jul 19, 2009, Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com wrote:

> Wilhelm, regarding the crashes.  Have you watched the ram-usage during
> the operation of your application?  Could it be that there is a memory
> leak in some part of Rev that is causing the crashes.
>
> Bernard

Thanks for the hint, Bernard.

I will try to get acquainted with "MMC", the system monitoring device on
Windows XP. Otherwise, there are 4 GB Ram on my fairly new computer,
which should be sufficient for the majority of applications, but
probably not for a leaking Rev engine.
I have already tried the Windows "Task Manager" and noticed that CPU-use
never exceeded 50% when using my stack.

What puzzles me is that the very same script may run perfectly 50 times
in a row, and then eventually crash stack, IDE, and engine on number 51
(or 501).

Last time when I got a corrupted stack, which I had backed up half an
hour before the crash - I had just added two buttons to the stack that
had run OK for a number of times.
After the crash occurred, I retrieved the scripts of the two added
buttons from the corrupted stack with Wordpad and added the two buttons
again to the backup stack. The very same scripts now worked without
problems - as they should of course.--

One of the more complex scripts I use here in my gradient tool have such
features:

- snapshots are taken 9 times
- there are 7 additional placeholder images that are manipulated behind
the scenes
- angles of images are set 11 times
- two groups of images are created and then ungrouped again.

This type of complexity, which is really different from that of my other
image-processing stacks, led me to the idea I had expressed in my last post

 > I have not yet been able to find out the exact cause and its location
in the
 > scripts for these crashes. I have the feeling that somehow "toxic
waste" is
 > accumulating in stack and/or engine which then causes crashes when a
certain
 > level has been reached. It may well be related to the frequently applied
 > procedures of various kinds of snapshot-taking, masking, setting
angles, and
 > grouping or regrouping of images.--

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke