Unicode - AAT vs OT fonts in Revolution

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Jul 17 23:26:14 EDT 2009

Aloha, Richmond:

It's getting pretty muggy here on Kauai to... classic Kauai weather, a
short rain 2-3 times a day with Average 80 Degree temps, but mid-day is
climbing to 100 in the open fields, mosquitoes are loving it. Average
density -- 12 little kamakazi's per cubic foot of atmosphere. August
will be cooking...

I see your machinations: I'm not sure I want to "go there" with the old
special conjuncts. I think it is possible to get every letter in the
devanagiri alphabet from the standard 0900–097F, if are willing to stick
to late forms. Or, (I hope not!) are there actual important conjuncts
that are in fact not available in 0900–097F ?

I was forced to order a plug in for Indesign to find a way to enter the
udatta and anudatta stress marks, which are, strangely, not available on
the current standard Devangari keyboards and thus impossible to enter in
any environment except inDesign.

These two marks are "mission critical" but Metadesignsolutions IndicPlus
plug in saved the day and least inside Indesign. But as mentioned, not
available in any other environment. That's a show stopper... Someone
else on our team threw in the towel and went back to a T1 font for his
work...well-designed, all chars available with a sensible, complete
keyboard.

I was not able to pursue this further since our last discussion and my
next publishing project that might be repurposed to a Rev environment,
will focus on Tamil...

I'm not fluent in building a keyboard... I see some old keyboards in
/Library/Keyboard Layouts/ but not everything one has access to in the
international Input Menu appears there... and I don't see them in the
sys library either... the ones I do see look simple enough XML...

Good, luck and keep me posted. And I thought Unicode was going to make
life easier (smile)