[OT] Waiting for Beta and Visiting Edinburgh

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Jul 16 08:18:24 EDT 2009

On 16 Jul 2009, at 09:51, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

>  Historically Scotland has been two cultures, the culture
> of the lowland cities, ....  Then you have
> the highland culture,

Oh dear me, Peter. If there were only these two cultures, a bunch of
skirt-wearing highland lassies and  football-playing lowlanders, our
country would have disappeared long ago. From time immemorial (I can't
remember when), Scotland's culture has been defended, sold out, and
oft times created by the people of the Southern Uplands. While
highlanders were deciding what clothes to wear, and lowlanders were
still in bed, Scottish Borderers were already in the thick of battle,
displaying fearsome feats of strength and even fighting on both sides
at once. And while others would head home at the end of day's
fighting, those Border lads still had the strength to "attend the
wounded" and relieve them of heavy burdens such as weapons, horses and
coins.

In the 16th century, they taught the world the art of stealing cattle,
how to hold a grudge, and introduced the word "blackmail" to the
English language. The "reiving" tradition is still carried on today,
although generally just at weekends and mainly by young girls.

And a selfless lot too. In the 19th century, the mills along the Tweed
designed and produced tartan cloth for their highland cousins who were
otherwise naked and seemed to like such colourful things.

So for those visiting Edinburgh, and who would like to see the home of
the Armstrongs, Grahams, Johnstons, Kerrs, and many other notorious
clans whose names don't being with Mac, I suggest you head south a
little. And if you want to feel at home, here's a picture of how you
might want to dress:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainmac/1303617693/

Cheers
Dave