Referring to chars by decimal or hex numbers ????

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 13:40:24 EDT 2009

Peter W A Wood wrote:
> snip
> Your blast may be premature. Devan Asay's Unicode tutorial
> (http://www.runrev.com/developers/tutorials/unicode-in-revolution/)
> says that all Unicode characters are UTF-16. In UTF-16 numbers greater
> than 65535 can be represented by a two character combination. It's all
> explained much better than I could at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utf-16
>
> The UTF-16 sequence for the Unicode code point 983040 (decimal) is
> DB80 DC00 (Hexadecimal) ; courtesy of
> http://rishida.net/tools/conversion/

Um!  Playing around with http://rishida.net/tools/conversion/ I ended up
with the following for 983040:

UTF-16 code units :  DB80 DC00 20

Unicode U+hex notation : U+F0000  (which I kent well)

now that is all very, very jolly!  So "Aa thocht a quhile, Aa scart ma
dowp an pyked ma neb a pirie bit",
but when I tried this:

numToChar(56192 56320 32) it "threw a wobbly"

as did: numToChar(56192 56320)

and this; numToChar(56192) & numToChar(56320) & numToChar(32) was most
unsatisfactory . . .

and, finding no reference in any of the RunRev documentation about the
possibility of
working with Hexadecimal notation . . .

Devin Asay's tutorial :
http://www.runrev.com/developers/tutorials/unicode-in-revolution/   does
indeed
state that all Unicode characters are UTF-16; but it most definitely
does not state how one can refer with
numToChar with a 2 character combination.