Creepy 2020

Randall Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Thu Jul 2 17:46:28 EDT 2009

If the majority of consumers demanded fairness over gimmicks, the safeways of the world would be falling over themselves to meet that market.  It is we.  Our daily actions determine the shape of products and services and what we value.  There is a study done of chimps.  A chimps was taught to count.  Put a late of jelly beans in front of it and this chimps would sit there draging one at a time into a pile... Then touch the square with the number (1 to 100) corresponding on a touch screen.  After a while he was correct almost 100 percent of the time.  If he was correct, he got to eat the beans.  If not, he had to wait for the next day to try again.  Then the changed the experiment.  Brought in another chimps behind a glass partition.  The other chimps had no roll but to be there.  In the presence of the second chimp, the counting chimps ability to count go worse and worse.  Especially because a wrong count meant he had to watch the plate of beans handed to the passive chimp each time he lost.  I think humans have the same problem.  We cant perform when we think somone eles might profit from our mistakes. It isnt so much that we want a discount on toilet paper as it is that we simply couldnt take it if someone else got that discount and we didnt.