Sort Command in 3.5 is adding lines to a variable

Timothy Bleiler bleiler at buffalo.edu
Thu Jul 2 15:12:48 EDT 2009

Yes, Pierre that form does give a consistent count of the number of
lines in the variable.

However, the question remains about why the sort command is moving the
last cr to the first line which effectively adds a line at the
beginning of the variable. If the sort command is treating the last CR
as another line, then "number of lines in tTemp" should also and
always return 3 in this example. There remains some ambiguity about
how the engine treats the final dangling cr after "cat" in this
example. If the first line is   Put "Dog" & cr & "Cat"  into tTemp
then the problem doesn't occur. The biggest problem is that this is
different behavior from previous versions of Rev. In prior versions,
the number of lines in tTemp would always return 2 in the initial
example.