Creepy

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Wed Jul 1 16:28:14 EDT 2009

Le 1 juil. 09 à 22:06, Lynn Fredricks a écrit :

> <snip>

> I believe at some point, you are asked if you want to "find your
> friends" on
> various e-services. I recall something about this, also other
> platforms
> using something similar, like NING.
>
> They've all set up sharing APIs that require permission to be
> granted. Once
> it sucks in your data though - its in their system and likely not
> removable.
> There are more and more "validation" methods being used across apps.
> If you
> have a Wordpress based blog for example, there's a plugin that lets
> you
> utilize Facebook Connect for validating commenters. It is very easy
> to set
> up. You've ceded access control though.
>
> I think this all boils down to the problem, esp in the USA, that you
> do not
> "own" your own information. Ive met reps from many Web 2.0 type
> companies
> that openly tell me that its all about owning the customer
> information, and
> giving away use of all sorts of great applications is targeted towards
> acquiring this information for ongoing exploitation - targeted ads,
> direct
> mail marketing and the like.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lynn Fredricks
> President
> Paradigma Software
> http://www.paradigmasoft.com
>
> Valentina SQL Server: The Ultra-fast, Royalty Free Database Server

there are very few "free" things in this world. First time I heard
about gmail, I thought of it as a free dose from a drug dealer (not
that I am familiar with this kind of people).
Every time somebody writes something on this list, it's indexed by
google. It may be a good thing, provided you protect what's valuable
to you. Sometimes I think of internet as a huge orgy of information,
with little protection.

1.5 cent.

François