Creepy

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 1 15:22:25 EDT 2009

Andre Garzia wrote:
 > Hello Folks,
 > After a quick query on how facebook does its magic/voodoo, I come to
 > the following blurbs:
 >
 > "It looks like what is happening is that you’ve chosen the “opt-in”
 > suggestion feature on Facebook. You might have blown past the checkbox
 > or maybe not have noticed it signing up but Facebook has a feature
 > that asks if it can scan your email address books (Yahoo, Gmail, etc.)
 > to find friends in your address book that are also on FB, or to make
 > suggestions.

Comforting to know it's not a browser exploit digging into our hard
drives, but it raises a question of the security decision-making at
Yahoo, gMail, etc.:

How can a web site like FaceBook dig into your address book at those
other sites without requiring your passwords for those sites?

Do Yahoo, Google, etc. just give free access to FaceBook and potentially
anyone else willing to pony up whatever those mail companies ask for
such access?

Weird stuff.

--
  Richard Gaskin