Import PDFs ?

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Fri Jan 30 22:39:30 EST 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 11:49 PM, Brian Yennie wrote:

> If the file is in a custom property and you want to write it out,
> you can use "put URL into ..." syntax and write it out to the
> user's temp folder (see specialFolderPath()).

Thanks Brian and others.

With generous help from the list, I have been able to import a PDF,
save it as a customkey, write the customkey to a disk file, on the
desktop, and launch the file with Preview, all with simple Rev
scripts. I didn't know Rev could do such things. This is definitely
not your father's hyperCard. One last obstacle remains.

I'm fuzzy on "user's temp folder," which I guess refers to a folder
called "Temporary". I just figured out I can find it with

put specialFolderPath("Temporary")

It looks like this folder belongs to Mac OS, not to Rev.

I'm guessing that the Temporary folder gets erased by the OS now and
then, possibly on shutdown.

Am I getting the right idea?

Thanks again,

Tim