problems with Cyrillic input on Windows standalone

Curt Ford cford at sc.edu
Tue Jan 27 20:05:49 EST 2009

Hi Devin & others,

It sounds like your suggestion is a good one for when the user should
definitely type in Russian, or another language the project might plan
for. In an ideal world (!), I'd like my project to work with any
language the user's computer supports, and it's OK if they need to
switch the input method themselves.

I've been experimenting with another sample stack; the results seem to
be that for success, the textFont of the stack needs to be empty, and
the textFont of the field needs to be Arial.

In my main project the plot thickens - there are two (of nine) cards
where users might enter text. One card has fields where they enter
info to create a word list; the other has a dictation exercise. Last
week neither was accepting Cyrillic in the Windows standalone.

This morning I set the textFont of the stack to empty, which helped
some: the word list screen started accepting Cyrillic again, the
dictation exercise still doesn't.

A further wrinkle: if I open the Windows standalone and go directly
from the main menu (first) card to the word list card, Cyrillic works;
but if I go to any other card, then back to the main menu, and then to
the word list card, the word list shows the same problems with
Cyrillic as the dictation card. I'm looking for something in card
scripts of the other cards that could cause this but haven't found
anything likely. Each card does have a preOpenCard handler that calls
this stack script:

on ChangeFontsForWindows
if the platform = "Win32" then
  repeat with i = the num of fields of this card
   set the textFont of fld i to "Arial"
  end repeat
end if
end ChangeFontsForWindows

..but since that's in the word list card too, I don't think it's the
culprit.

I'd hoped to figure this out without going to a consultant but the
time I have for this issue is running out.. any ideas what else I
could look at?

Thanks!!

Curt