OT: KDE on Windows

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 05:33:54 EST 2009

Ars has a very nice brief review of KDE 4.2 on Windows.  It seems to work
pretty well, and we can now begin to see the day coming when it will work
equally well on Linux, Mac and Windows. Its an important trend, and the
final release (this is still RC) will be an important moment.  We are
getting to the point where the desktop environment their customers use moves
out of the control of the two main OS vendors. Like it or not, customers of
both will not be locked in to one particular desktop environment and
integrated file manager. We are also in consequence getting closer and
closer to the point where how your user interface works is not dictated by
some HIG committee in a windowless room in Redmond or Cupertino, but by you
picking whichever one you feel comfortable with, and then tweaking it.  One
size may fit all, but you'll get to try it on and see for yourself and
change if it doesn't. Significant developments for the longer term.

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/01/testing-kde-42-release-candidate-on-windows.ars