problems with Cyrillic input on Windows standalone

Curt Ford cford at sc.edu
Sat Jan 24 12:53:51 EST 2009

I'm using Rev 3.0 on a Mac for a project includes a field that users
should be able to type into in Russian. Until recently this worked
fine in Windows standalones but in recent builds, typing with the
Russian keyboard selected gives gibberish (numbers & symbols like :>B;
5BO) instead of Russian in the Windows standalone only. The textFont
of the field is "Arial."

To isolate the problem I made a separate stack with just a card & a
field with textFont set to Arial, textSize 18. This worked fine for
Russian in a Windows standalone.

I tried copying this working field into my project without changing
anything about the field; its textFont was still Arial. When I tried
this is a Windows standalone, typing in Russian gave gibberish again.

I can't find anything in the card script that affects the fields of
this card. In the stack script I do have

  if the platform = "Win32" then
     set the textfont of this stack to "Arial"
     set the textsize of this stack to 14
     --but don't make the pulldowns too big on Windows!
     set the textsize of group "Menubar" to 12
   else if the platform = "MacOS" then
     set the textfont of this stack to "Lucida Grande"
     set the textSize of this stack to 12
   end if

But pasting this into the stack script of the separate stack didn't
cause a problem in the Windows standalone.

Any ideas what's going on here, or what to look at?

-Curt