externals

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Fri Jan 23 06:21:17 EST 2009

Le 23 janv. 09 à 11:31, Thierry a écrit :

> Hi  Randall,
>
>> Here is a reposting of a link to a page describing the files system
>> events reporter fslogger:
>> http://osxbook.com/software/fslogger/
>>
>> If anyone has the inkling or the hankering to fuse this source into
>> an external for xTalk on the Mac...
>> please please please let me know.
>>>

> From fslogger Doc :
>
> Caveat:
>
> The interface that fslogger uses is private to Apple.
> Currently, there is a caveat regarding the use of this interface by
> third parties (including fslogger).  <.....>
> fslogger is meant to be a learning tool. If you use it, you must
> understand the aforementioned caveat.
> ---------------
>
> I had a look at the C source, and will be able to do a quick
> external Demo, but with the information above,
> well, it seems a bit of a tricky path to go there !  What do you
> think ?
>
> Regards,
> Thierry

from what I have read, fslogger relies on a private API which is used
by spotlight. On the other hand, FSEvent, I think, is a public API. I
think it is interesting to have a look on a review of Time Machine
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.ars/14
which (Time Machine), incidentally, relies on FSEvents. The
interesting part lies in the compromises that the Apple engineers had
to made in order
a) not constantly monitoring the file system activity, which can bring
the system to a virtual halt
b) select the right granularity both in time and in files to have a
working backup which does not fill the backup disk in a few hours
I think the "real time" requirement is too demanding; a suitable time
scale for scanning file events must be found that compromises between
reliability and system availibility.

best regards,
	François