Extracting Resources from MacOS X Resource Files

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 22 14:27:42 EST 2009

stephen barncard wrote:
> Have you opened (control-click) the package and looked through all the
> files/folders inside? .rsrc is a special os type that's actually a
> folder.

I'm not so sure.  Right-clicking on iTunes.rsrc doesn't provide an
option for opening it as a bundle, and dropping it on TextEdit open it
up.  It appears to be a file, and if indeed it contains icons it's just
another example of Apple not following their own guidelines, which
suggest that icons should be put in icns files within the app's bundle.

> This is not the same now in Rev as pictures and sounds are stored in a
> proprietary format, I'm sure to preserve cross-platform compatibility.
> Say, nobody's written a 'Resource Mover' for Rev yet.....
> maybe I will.

If you can pull the image data from icns files and .rsrc files into Rev
image objects, be sure to put a PayPal link on your download page and
let me know the URL as soon as it's available. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World