SQL varieties

Pierre Sahores psahores at free.fr
Wed Jan 21 18:54:59 EST 2009

Hi Sarah,

MySQL (3.2.3) use to be a very unsecure solution. More, it was unable
to serve more than 10-15 connections/second. At that time, PostgreSQL
(6.5) had become a very serious alternative to Oracle or Sybase rdbms.

Today, PostgreSQL is still a very suitable solution (more ACID-
compliant than any issue of Oracle 10/11, very fast in both read and
write modes, triggers, BSD license,...) and i use it, since 1998, all
the time on both the Suse, Ubuntu or Mac OS X platforms. Never had any
db krach or datas loose.... It's no any difficulty in installing
PostgreSQL under the Linux (just select it in the packages to install)
or Mac OS X (avoid the apple dev site instructions and prefer the Marc
Lyanage specs at http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/ for
the details).

On the other side, MySQL 4 did lots of progresses over the sad 3.2.3
issue and MySQL 5.xx is yet a mature and secure rdbms solution. Lots
of rock solid apps are build on top of it (Typo3, Xoops, eZ Publish,
limeSurvey,...).

So, to the end, just go to the simplest way for your project context.
I choose, for my own, PostgreSQL each time i have to build a n-tier
app from scratch on top of PHP+RunRev. I use MySQL 5.xx, each time i
have to do with a prebuilded PHP-based app (ECMS, Survey tool, etc...)
natively MySQL cpmliant.

PostgreSQL installs in the same way on both OS X server and OS X
desktop. There is no client-side components installation need. About
the db administration tool, i use differents ones but my prefered is
Navicat (100 US $).

In about talking about PostgreSQL, the best is to say "Postgre SQL" ;-)

Hope this can help,

Best Regards,
--
Pierre Sahores