SQL varieties

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:02:03 EST 2009

Hi All,

I'm working on a system that will end up using a multi-user database
served from a central system. While testing I am using SQLite which is
great as I can test all my SQL commands without having to worry about
the additional complication of server connections. When that all works
I will transfer it to MySQL running under MAMP on my desktop and
finally over to the server.

I run a pure OS X shop so I was going to go with MySQL for the final
database as it is a standard part of OS X server. However I have read
posts on this list suggesting that PostgreSQL is a better solution. So
here are a few questions for the exports:

1. Is PostgreSQL better & why?
2. Is it easy to install on OS X (client & server)
3. How do you say PostgreSQL :-)

My system is going to be a relatively small database and not subject
to heavy usage, if that makes any difference to the recommendations.

TIA,
Sarah