Cursor Navigation

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Jan 21 16:03:34 EST 2009

Hi all.

FYI I just realized that record navigation in a cursor is limited at
best. I cannot go to a specific record, even if I knew the record I
wanted to go to. I can go first last next or previous, but I cannot go
to record 5. I cannot tell that record 5 is the record I want because
I cannot scan a cursor for the data I want. I am going to have to
rethink everything about how this app can run. Perhaps I will see how
fast a repeat loop works. But for cursors with thousands of records I
cannot imagine how someone could requery a table, given the
possibility that new records have been inserted since the last query,
and get to the record he was just working with.

Thanks for any SQL help you have given along the way. I am finding SQL
and the rev api's to it a most unwieldy method for storing and
retrieving data. I may have to give Ruslan's product another serious
looking into. I believe he has a method for doing what I want.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management
Calvary Chapel CM