any way to detect condition "connected to ISP but not internet"?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon Jan 19 22:21:40 EST 2009

This is by no means foolproof, and just based on my own anecdotal
connection issues, but you might consider checking your computer's
local IP address. If it is in one of the "self-assigned" ranges, often
that means you are connected to your router, but not to the larger
network. Of course there are many situations where this might fail,
but it is one common level of problems. I believe two common tip-offs
are addresses 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and 169.xxx.xxx.xxx.

If you need a general solution, there are probably many layers to
account for, but you can at least try to detect the most common ones.

HTH