externals

Randall Lee Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Mon Jan 19 12:44:14 EST 2009

> On Jan 19, 2009, at 3:04 AM, Jan Schenkel wrote:

> It would be a brilliant project, but not to be
> undertaken without a thorough knowledge of C and file
> systems on multiple platforms, with some assembly
> required.

Thanks Jan,

This particular project is to do what Apple's "Automator" should have
done... namely, to allow automation triggered by system level events
- as they happen.  I call my project "Reactor".  You go to a
configuration panel where you select system events that you want to
trigger xtalk messages (and under what conditions).  Then you go
create rev stacks that deal with these messages through event
handlers.  It's that simple.  The main Reactor tool will provide many
tools for automation that don't necessitate the creation of special
stacks and scripts.

Example:

Every time an image file is saved (by any program), store an alias of
that file in folder "Hard Drive:newImages:".
Every time the user navigates to a folder send "FolderNav" with the
folder path and long date and time to stack "myReactor".
Every time a text file is created with the word "Entropy" in its
name, move that file to folder "Hard Drive:My Projects:Entropic
Projects:".
Every time the user types the phrase "Calendar", launch application
"iCal"
If the day is "Monday" and the user is "Randall" then every time the
user types "work" then send "WordTyped" with "work"

Of course the idea is to deal with events in real time.  This is
equivalent to the notion of putting things away as you use them... so
that at the end of the day or project, there isn't so much cleanup to
do.  I hate how file systems and OS's are so static.  How they never
do things... how they wait until the user asks.

I understand that automation as described above could lead to
recursion problems (exp: when new folder is created, create new
folder), but these can be filtered and preemptively prevented.  I
also understand that OS's may be loath to the security problems
introduced by such a scheme... but the potential benefits
(productivity, efficiency, automation, data mining, etc.) might mean
we have to learn other ways of protecting the user and their data
than simple prevention.

I look forward to an OS that protects me the user from having to know
where my docs actually and physically reside.  Think instead of
virtual pointers... many many ways to navigate and create and edit
association and semantic webs that point intelligently to my docs and
their parts.

Randall