read file on Mac much slower as on Win!?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Sun Jan 18 08:51:28 EST 2009

Hello,

I made a repeat loop with read/write file to copy large zip files and be
able to show a progress (instead of using the shell). It works fine, beside
of a relevant speed difference between Win Notebook 1,8 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB
and Mac Book 2,2 Ghz, Core 2 Duo, 2GB.

For example reading/writing a 1,3 GB zipfile takes on the Win machine about
7 min, on Mac, first test 72 min, second test 20 min. Actually I have to
copy 6 times 1,3 GB. So it is pretty relevant, if it takes 7 or 70 min
(don't know why it took once 70 min and once 20 min). This would be in worst
case a total installation time of 7 hours!

Could it be that I have to use a different chunk size on Mac, as on Win,
because of different memory or file management? Smaller? Bigger?

The script snippet looks like:

    open file tQuellFile for binary read

    open file tZielFile for binary write

    repeat until it is empty

        read from file tQuellFile for 10000

        write it to file tZielFile

--.--

Thanks for any ideas, how to increase the speed.

Tiemo