What is Revdb_commit() for anyway?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 17:07:13 EST 2009

--- Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have always been a bit confused at this. So far as
> I can tell, I
> cannot get data back INTO a cursor, I can only read
> data FROM the
> cursor. In order to write data back to the database,
> I have to execute
> an SQL query. So what is Revdb_commit() for? Commit
> what? I just wrote
> the data directly to the SQL database in a query
> didn't I?
>
> Or am I mistaken about the ability to write data
> back to a cursor?
>
> Bob Sneidar

The revdb_commit function isn't meant for committing
changes to cursors - revdb cursors are by default
read-only; though I think if used with Valentina
Server and the VXCMD you can have read-write cursors,
but I digress.

It is meant for committing transactions. Depending on
the database, all the INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE
statements are each seen as a separate transaction, or
will be considered one giant transaction until you
effectively call revdb_commit or revdb_rollback.

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====