the focusedObject

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jan 12 11:25:08 EST 2009

william humphrey wrote:
> It's funny. I read all the emails in this list and must learn something but
> when it is a problem I'm working on and then you guys answer I really do
> learn something.

I know exactly what you mean. I think it happens to all of us.

> I like the idea of trapping the "close field" (you got the idea -- I'm
> trying to run the next code call without the user having to reach for the
> mouse) and it will probably be faster as I've noticed that trapping for the
> "return" introduces a processing delay.

I should probably mention that a closeField message won't be sent if the
user doesn't change the text of the field when they leave it. If you
only need to run your handler when the text changes, then trapping
closefield is enough. But if you want something to happen no matter how
the user leaves the field, then you'll also want to trap the exitField
message. That message is sent instead of closeField when the cursor
leaves the field but the text hasn't changed.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com