unicode in "ask" and "answer"

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Jan 12 10:46:09 EST 2009

On Jan 12, 2009, at 8:02 AM, Jim Sims wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
>
>> Set the unicodeText of a field to your unicode string and use the
>> htmlText of that field for the answer/ask prompt.
>
> Just curious, I noticed that you did not include a font. Does the
> unicodeText
> take care of that?  Does the htmlText take care of that? Not needed?

When you set the unicodeText of a field the OS is supposed to find a
suitable font to display the unicode. However, the automatic choice is
not always the most desirable visually, and you may have to experiment
to find a font you want, and set the textFont of the target field
before setting the unicodeText of the field.

I can also second Mark's comment--the only way to show unicode text in
an ask/answer dialog is to use unicode entities in html text.

<shameless plug>
I discussed both of these issues in my article on Unicode in the last
RevUp newsletter. See http://www.runrev.com/newsletter/december/issue62/newsletter2.php
</shameless plug>

Regards,

Devin