SQLite & repeated fields

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:27:48 EST 2009

Hi All,

I'm setting up an SQLite database and having some problems with table
design. The app is inventory control with a "Make" function i.e. it
stores the quantities of each raw material you have and when you
"make" a specified amount of a certain product, those amounts are
automatically deducted from the raw material stocks.

I have a very simple table for the raw materials, but the products
table is not so obvious (at least not to me), mainly because each
product will have a different number of items used in it's
manufacture.

Do I have to set up a large table allowing for the maximum possible
number of items?
e.g.
product name
product id
item 1
quantity 1
item 2
quantity 2
.
.
.
item 50
quantity 50

or is there any better way to hold a variable number of repeating fields?

TIA,
Sarah