TileStack

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 7 16:20:23 EST 2009

Jack wrote:

 > I'm interested in TS also. This begs a question. Is Rev headed toward
 > this online approach and if not, why not?

I've long advocated translating Rev to HTML/JavaScript/CSS as a web
solution, and am in the middle of porting a large Rev project doing just
that.

ToolBook took that route, and I felt they handled it in a fairly good
way, certainly a cost-effective one.  It's difficult to make a complete
Rev->JS converter (hats off to the TileStack team if they're able to
handle even just the HC token set), so instead the TB folks identified a
number of tasks folks would most likely be interested in when writing
for the web, then wrote a matching set of libraries in both TB and JS to
make shortwork of either desktop or web deployment.

This of course limits what could be automatically translated, but at the
same time makes it dirt simple to translate a lot of very useful things,
like navigating between "cards" (pages), showing/hiding controls,
displaying images, playing video, etc.  Since TB was marketed mostly for
building courseware, that audience's more focused needs make it a good
fit for that type of translation.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World