Losing data when quitting

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctortimothyMiller.com
Sat Jan 3 05:43:04 EST 2009

Thanks Till,

Okay, I figured out how to reproduce.

It only seems to happen when I have another stack open, "underneath"
the stack I've been concerned about. I'd forgotten about that.

I'll explain it this way:

bookstack.rev is the filename of a multi-card stack with several
fields and buttons on each card, grouped, and behaving as a
background. One field predominates. I'll call that bg field
"bigfield"  I use bigfield like a text editor, sort of. A great deal
of text gets typed into that field. The other fields and buttons are
normally ignored. When I'm done with the stack, it would not
necessarily occur to me to tab or click out of the field.

teststack.rev is the filename of a tiny stack, consisting of one card,
one image and one button.

I haven't defined any stackfiles in either stack. Both reside in the
same folder. (I don't know if that's relevant.)

Here's the replicable sequence of events. I doubt that all these steps
are necessary to replicate the problem, but they are sufficient. The
problem is slippery, in ways I can't completely pin down. Change
certain minor steps and it goes away. But these steps always produce it:

--Make sure Rev is quit
--Launch bookstack.rev
--Close stack "revStartCentre," (It launches with Media.)
--Select the "browse" tool and close the "revTools" window
--Launch teststack.rev
--Click the title bar of Bookstack.rev to bring it to the front.
--Click a bg button that unlocks bg field "bigfield"
--Type some text into bg field "bigfield"
--Don't tab or click out of bigfield
--Select "Quit Revolution" from the menubar, or click on the small red
"close" button, or choose "Close" from the "File" menu

Bookstack closes, without a "save' dialog, and the recently entered
data is lost.
If I click or tab out of bigfield and then Quit Revolution, I do get a
normal "save" dialog box.

This is starting to look like the issue Paul described in his first
message on this thread, yesterday, mid-day.

I'm not quite sure whether this is already a well-known and reported
bug.

For now, I think I'll place a "save and close" button on all my stacks.

I hope this is of some use to someone. At least confidence in my
sanity is returning.

Cheers,

Tim