Tree Arrays: putting XML in nested arrays

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Jan 1 11:46:34 EST 2009

On Jan 1, 2009, at 10:10 AM, David Bovill wrote:

> I can't see it would complicate anything - just simplify the code?
> To get an
> attribute you'd simply prepend the path with "@attribute" rather
> than stick
> it at the end - the bonus would be speed and less lines of code (no
> need for
> filter). Or am I missing something?

With your design you are assuming that you will always be working on
the entire tree. With my design I want each node of the array to be
self contained so that it can be treated as a part separate from the
whole. I can extract a node like this:

put theTreeA[root]["node_1"] into theNodeA

and I have all of the data relevant to that node. For how I work this
is the logical approach given that I am not experiencing any speed
issues. Have you benchmarked filter to see how badly it affects
performance in your use cases?

Regards,

--
Trevor DeVore