can an external make use of pthreads?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Tue Feb 24 03:04:21 EST 2009

Andre,

This is a shot in the dark, but from your description I wonder if Rev
only maintains the callback address until your external returns. Then,
it disposes of something under the assumption that your external
doesn't need it any more, and things start to fail. This would explain
why it works momentarily, but then goes bad. I wonder if it would be
worth digging into libexternal itself and trying to figure out where
things fail. It's also possible that Rev just can't deal with a
callback coming from anywhere but the main thread.

Here's one random idea -- what happens if you call back into the main
thread, and then make the actual Rev callback from there? That way
your main thread insulates Rev from talking directly to other threads,
and still lives in the same thread as the Rev engine.