Vista virtualStore expert needed with DB virtualization

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Thu Feb 19 10:46:56 EST 2009

Hello,

I am still struggeling with this nasty Vista VirtualStore and encountered
another issue. I have a valentina db in my app, which is read only.

With first start of my app the valentina db file is immediately put into the
virtualStore of Vista and from now on every user is working with this copy,
even if I do an update on the original db.

First attempt after an advice of Ruslan was to set the write protection of
the db file. The file wasn't virtualized anymore, BUT my automatic update
procedure couldn't update my db anymore (by replacing it with VB), because
of the write protection.

I removed the write protection of the db file, to be able to update the file

I set the file permission of the db file to everyone-readexec

Made a new install of my app with the db - no virtualization

Started my app - the db file is being virtualized immediately with opening
it at prog start.

I set the file permission of the db file to everyone-modify

Made a new install of my app with the db - no virtualization

Started my app - no virtualization

Loaded an update for an app file and the db file - no virtualization

Started my App - the db file is being virtualized immediately with opening
it at prog start. The other updated app file is not being virtualized.

>From now on this happens for every user, who opens my app on this machine
and works from now on with an old copy of the db after the next update,
because Vista never updates the virtual store again.

Obviously either the rev engine or the valentina engine makes something,
what provokes Vista to virtualize the db. But only after an update???

Am I missing something very basic or is this a bug or what?

Any idea?

Thanks

Tiemo