Arrays and Custom Props

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 21:45:20 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com>wrote:

> At the risk of pulpifying this long-dead horse, for clarity's sake I don't
> believe it's the *executable• within an AppleScript applet bundle that is
> being modified.  AFAIK that isn't possible in any UNIX-based system.

I figured the same, and I really have no idea what's going on 'under the
hood', but I did a simple experiment. I opened ScriptEditor and put in the
following:

property theCount : 0
set theCount to theCount + 1
display dialog "The value of theCount is: " & theCount as string

If you 'Run' this over and over the dialog displays an ever increasing
number. If you recompile it goes back to 1.

I then saved it, but there are a couple of options including 'Application'
or 'Application Bundle', I used 'Application'. This produced a single file,
I tried to 'cntrl-click' to 'Show Package Contents', but this did not come
up, so this wasn't a case of an Application Bundle (a folder appearing to be
a file).

I then quit ScriptEditor and double clicked on my newly created App. It came
up with a dialog with the number 1 and then self quit. I double clicked on
it again and it said 2, etc etc. The Modification Time of the file changed
with each running of the App.

 Maybe that horse isn't quite dead yet ;-)