Where to put an ini file on Win with write access for all users?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Sun Feb 15 04:12:18 EST 2009

Hello,

I have an ini file, which should be accessed read/write by every user on the
machine, so it can't be in the user dir.

I choose specialfolderpath("35") & "\" & myFolder which is on XP:
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\myFolder and on
Vista C:\ProgramData\myFolder

On a XP machine I don't have write access to this ini file with a different
user, as having created the file. I could catch the error and tell the user,
he should give permissions to that file for all users. Not nice, but a
chance. On Vista I don't get an error when trying to write to that file with
a different user, Vista just virtualises the ini file in the user dir of the
other user and from now on I have an ini file for each user, what is a mess,
because there are common options, which should be the same for all users.

Any coaching how to handle this correctly very appreciated!

Thank you

Tiemo