chasing the thumb in a scrollbar

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Fri Feb 6 01:27:18 EST 2009

Mark Swindell wrote:
> The thumbPosition will give you the position of the thumb relative to
> the endvalue of the scrollbar itself.  So that if the scrollbar's
> endvalue is set to 100 (default) and it's halfway along, the thumbpos
> will be 50.  If the endvalue is set to 200, it will show 100.  But I'm
> trying to place a graphic based on the actual thumb position relative
> to the screen, not the scrollbar.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

This isn't perfect but it's a starting point if you want to do it this
way. I broke the formula down to its parts instead of doing a one-liner:

on scrollbarDrag pNewPosition
   put the left of me into tWindowOffset
   put the thumbSize of me div 2 into tThumbOffset
   put (the endValue of me - the startValue of me) into tMyUnits
   put the width of me / tMyUnits into tPixelsPerUnit
   put round(tPixelsPerUnit * (pNewPosition - tThumbOffset)) into tThumbH
   set the right of btn 1 to (tThumbH) + tWindowOffset
end scrollbarDrag

I created a button that follows the thumb around - not perfectly, but
you want to tweak it anyway, right?  ;o)

Hope this helps -
Phil Davis