convert to lower ascii 128?

Mark Smith lists at futilism.com
Thu Feb 5 19:27:08 EST 2009

While we're on displacement activities :)

One of the things that can slow Rev down in a long for loop is the
building up of a long output string (I suspect that an awful lot of
copying and moving of memory starts to happen).

I made a little test of something suggested by someone on this list
(Eric Miclo?), that is, that it can be noticably quicker to build up
a long string into a file rather than a variable when dealig with a
lot of data. What I found on this 2.16G MacBookPro was that after you
get to sizes bigger than a few Mb, for each doubling of size, writing
to a file doubles the time, while using a variable quadruples the time.

If you're interested, you can get the stack I made from: http://
maspub.s3.amazonaws.com/listTest.rev

Best,

Mark