Another SQL question

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Feb 4 12:02:19 EST 2009

On 2/2/09 3:46 PM, "Bob Sneidar" <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> Wow! Not in my reference manual it's not. 11.2 is "Numeric Types". But
> then I downloaded the PDF manual. Seems that it is either out of date
> or not "exactly" correct. I also searched for IN() in the manual and
> came up with squadouch.

That's why I always use the online manual...

  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/comparison-operators.html

The other thing to note is that "IN" can be used both for checking for
matching value in field(s) in another table with a "subselect", or even for
a simple string comparison.

For example, you can do this (this is admittedly a bad example because you
don't need to do the subselect, but it's more FYI):

  SELECT * FROM People WHERE PhoneLink IN
       (SELECT RecID FROM Phones WHERE PhoneType='Fax')

And you can also do this:

  SELECT * FROM Phones WHERE PhoneType IN ('Fax','Work','Home')

etc.

The reason I mention this, is that when I first went to look for this a
while ago, I thought it would be under SELECT, but now I know better.

:-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com