When should cmd-period work?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 2 19:46:35 EST 2009

Devin Asay wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2009, at 2:44 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> I accidentally wrote a handler that called another handler that called
>> the first one, which called the second one, which called the first one,
>> which...you know, like that. It wasn't really recursion because each
>> handler did a finite set of actions and didn't depend on the other. At
>> any rate, there was no recursion warning.
>>
>> What it looked like from the outside was that Rev had become
>> unresponsive, though the cursor moved. No spinning beach ball, no
>> colored pizza, just the regular arrow, but clicking on anything failed
>> and the OS X dock had "Force Quit" in its menu. It took me several
>> force-quits before I figured out the problem was ID10T error.
>>
>> The allowInterrupts was true, but command-period didn't intercept it.
>> Should it have? I wonder if that's even possible, since from the
>> script's point of view there was nothing wrong. It was doing exactly
>> what I told it to.
>
> Hi Jacque,
>
> This has happened to me several times in Rev 3.0, but I've never been
> able to pin it down to a recipe. It's almost like what happens when a
> running script throws an error and kicks you into debug mode, and you
> try to do things with the interface, but nothing works. Then you notice
> the error message and slap yourself in the forehead and say to yourself
> "What a dork!", then click the stop button in the script editor to get
> out of debug mode, and everything's fine. But when this happens you
> can't find anything to click, and you want to slap your computer
> instead. Cmd-period doesn't work because the script is already
> interrupted. It's almost like you really are in debug mode but the
> interface hasn't been updated to reflect that. Like you, I seem to
> notice it happen when handlers are calling handlers are calling
> handlers, in different objects.
>
> It's very frustrating; maybe if we compare notes we can come up with a
> reliable recipe for reproducing it.

I'll see if I can make a simpler stack that reproduces it. The one I'm
working on isn't fit for pubic consumption. :) I never thought about it
acting like it's in debug mode, but now that you mention it, yeah,
that's what it seems like. Only I never got any error messages that I
could see.

I figured out real quick to save before testing...

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com