put shell() and escaping quotes, how to do this?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 31 03:55:28 EST 2009

Bernard, many thanks.  Its a nice generalizable method.  This was
surprisingly tricky to do despite being very simple as a method.

As well as this problem, there was also the problem of actually geting hex 7
into a text file, and it turned out that for some unclear reason, ghex would
not do it.  In the end I found another hex editor which was much better and
did it without problems, but it took some time to accept that ghex was not
going to do it.  I ended up using the bless editor, which is an awful lot
better than ghex.  Ghex seems to suffer from the classic Gnome problem,
taking stuff out which makes the application usable, with the alleged motive
of making it easy to use and conforming to some rules some of them have
written someplace.  Every time you come on another of these idiotic
politically correct roadblocks to actually using their stuff, its more
irritating than the last.

Peter