4.0 engine as an executable shell/cgi

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Dec 23 11:27:21 EST 2009

Bernard Devlin wrote:
> But I thought it was important to raise this issue about the changes
> to the way Rev works in case other people were thinking to use Rev 4
> in a cgi environment.

Agreed.  I understand RunRev Ltd. is on holiday break at the moment, but
I'm hoping when they get back they'll be in a position to move forward
with the new server thang.

> It was in this context that I wondered about the availability of the
> Apache module from on-Rev.  Clearly it's been in use for months now,
> but I don't remember seeing that it been made publicly available.

I don't think it's a module per se since it isn't stay-resident, which
is a good thing IMO since most of us use shared hosting services and
it's not easy getting admins to install a module their server for a
single account.

Behaviorally, it's very much like a CGI configured with .htaccess to run
files ending in .irev through an enhanced merge function.  At least
that's how I've been able to approximate the behavior, as with the
templates driving the blog at revJournal.com.  While missing some of the
syntactic sugar on-rev users enjoy (and without the great benefit of
live debugging), it's been delightfully simple to drop RevTalk function
calls in standard HTML pages and have them fill in the blanks from calls
to a library stack.  Merge is a beautiful thing.

But as for the new server component, I'm not really sure what exactly it
is.  I'm told it's not a CGI, and it doesn't behave like a module.

Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World