4.0 engine as an executable shell/cgi

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 10:38:45 EST 2009

Hi Richard

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> In the meantime I've continued using the v3.5 engine as a CGI, and given
> that most of the v4 changes affect things that don't come into play in a
> faceless mode I would imagine v3.5 would be suitable for most command
> line-driven projects.
>
> Is there something specific to v4 your project needs which would preclude
> using the v3.5 runtime engine?  Maybe we can brainstorm a workaround to get
> you going.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin

I thought I'd read it in the log text files, but I wasn't at a
computer with 4.0 installed when I wrote that.

Thanks (as always) for your offer of help.  Much appreciated.
However, I found out that Rev 4.0 didn't work as a shell processor
when I tried running some of my Rev shell scripts with 4.0.  As I had
3.5 installed on that computer, I just switched to using that instead.

But I thought it was important to raise this issue about the changes
to the way Rev works in case other people were thinking to use Rev 4
in a cgi environment. In another thread yesterday Viktoras was asking
about virtual servers hosts on the internet where he could install
Rev.

It was in this context that I wondered about the availability of the
Apache module from on-Rev.  Clearly it's been in use for months now,
but I don't remember seeing that it been made publicly available.

Regards,
Bernard