web tables 2 rev tables

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Tue Dec 22 21:13:42 EST 2009

Hi Roger,

It seems to me the bigger problem is the conversion of nested html
tables, which are pretty common. That said, here is a button script that
converts a 'simple' html table to a tab-delimited text file. From there
the sky is the limit.  ;-)  NOTE: This code works with only the simplest
of tables, but it gives you a starting point if you want to go this way.

on mouseUp
    -- get the file
    answer file "Pick a file that contains an HTML table:"
    if it = empty then exit to top
    put url ("file:" & it) into tData

    -- make each html table start at the beginning of a line
    replace cr with empty in tData
    replace "<table>" with (cr & "<table>") in tData

    -- make each table end at the end of a line
    replace "</table>" with ("</table>" & cr) in tData

    -- remove all lines but those with complete html tables
    filter tData with "<table>*</table>"

    -- exit if there are no unnested tables
    if tData = empty then
       answer "No unnested tables found."
       exit to top
    end if

    -- convert tables to tab-delimited lines of data
    replace tab with empty in tData
    replace "</tr>" with cr in tData
    replace "</td>" with tab in tData
    replace (tab & cr) with cr in tData

    -- eliminate unused table tags
    replace "<table>" with empty in tData
    replace "</table>" with empty in tData
    replace "<tr>" with empty in tData
    replace "<td>" with empty in tData

    -- display the converted data
    put tData into fld 1
end mouseUp

Here is the test data I used (in a file of its own):

Merry Christmas!
Phil Davis