[VOTE] Tool Palette dissapear randomly Report #8500

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 13:00:48 EST 2009

Jacqueline, I understand your point, and wouldn't be voting for this
'bug' anyway (it might be the case that Alejandro was caught out by
the behaviour of IDEs that were operating with defaults that he does
not see in his own IDE).  But from what you're saying it seems to me
that the voting system is being re-purposed.  If it had been the
intention that people only vote for a bug that they've seen, then
surely we would only be allowed to assign 1 vote to a bug rather than
1-5?  Also, it doesn't make sense with regard to enhancement 'bugs'
(maybe assigning more than 1 vote for those does make sense).

I suspect that less than 1% of Rev users actually vote on bugs anyway,
so it's very likely that the whole voting process is completely
skewed.  For example, there are 1961 open actual bugs (i.e. excluding
enhancement requests), but only 947 bugs/enhancements that have 1 or
more votes. About half of that 947 are enhancements rather than actual
bugs, and about 30% of the 947 are listed as 'fixed' but still have
votes attached to them.  So the vast majority of open bug reports
(roughly 85%) don't have any votes assigned to them.  And we all know
that only a small subset of users ever bother to report bugs.

Maybe it's time that RQCC was overhauled.

Bernard