Newbie Data Grid question

Andre.Bisseret Andre.Bisseret at inria.fr
Wed Dec 16 05:13:13 EST 2009

Bonjour,

Le 16 déc. 09 à 06:12, Trevor DeVore a écrit :

> On Dec 16, 2009, at 12:04 AM, James Hurley wrote:
>>> It's okay, the Data Grid likes to be beta up on once and a while :-)
>>
>> As long as this is still in Beta, may I make a suggestion?
>
> Sorry, that was supposed to be "beat" not "beta".

:-o))

>> (Does anyone ever let the possibility of the answer be "no" stop
>> them?)
>> I had assumed when I saw the following code in the guide:
>>
>>  put field "data" into tData
>>  put true into pFirstLineContainsHeaders
>>  set the dgText [ pFirstLineContainsHeaders ] of group "DataGrid 2"
>> to tData
>>
>> I assumed that  the data grid would function in much the same way
>> that FileMaker does when importing an Excel file, i.e. it allows
>> one to assign the items in the first line of the file to field
>> names and the rest of the llines to populate these fields. That
>> would be a reasonable behavior of
>> "dgText[pFirstLineContainsHeaders]" il.e. when the parameter is
>> true, the column headings are taken from the first line of the text
>> field and the rest go into filling the columns.

I must confess that I interpreted this code in the same way
in particular, I think, because this phrase "If true then the data
grid will extract the first line of pText …"

> The first line is only used to tell the data grid which columns to
> map the rest of the data to. If you want to create columns then you
> will need to set the dgProp["columns"] property.
That's OK for me now, Trevor :-)
Might be nice to elaborate a bit in this lesson to prevent from this
misinterpretation.

Best regards from Grenoble

André