Deriving an angle from three points

Jacques Hausser jacques.hausser at unil.ch
Wed Dec 16 03:47:21 EST 2009

> On 12/15/09 10:21 PM, Mark Swindell wrote:
>> 40,116
>> 98,186
>> 132,118
>>
>> How would one determine the angle created from three points, such as those above?

Hi Mark,

I'm using the following handlers. SurfaceTriangle is used to determine if you compute the outer (>180) or inner angle with summit c in calcangle.

HTH

Jacques

function SurfaceTriangle a,c,b
   -- a,c,b: points
   -- returns twice the surface of triangle a,c,b
   -- the result is signed, positive if points follow each other clockwise,
   -- negative otherwise.
   -- aligned points return zero.
   put ((item 1 of c - item 1 of a)*(item 2 of b - item 2 of a)\
   - (item 1 of b - item 1 of a)*(item 2 of c - item 2 of a)) into aire
   return aire
end SurfaceTriangle

function calcAngle a,c,b
   -- a,c,b : points.
   -- returns angle between ca and cb in degrees
   put Distance(c,b) into da
   put Distance(a,c) into db
   put Distance(a,b) into dc
   put (da + db + dc)/2 into p