More about hex and printing and gdi printers...

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 14 04:43:30 EST 2009

Well, thank you all for your help, and yes, it is licked, the hex that is!

What to do is, get a hex editor, I used ghex but there seem to be a huge
number out there.  Then you just insert the hex characters into a text
file.  ghex is very convenient because you can either type them in as hex
or as ascii in the two panes, and it then shows what you have done in the
other.  Maybe they all do this, ghex is the only one I've ever used.

Then to control the printer with this, you just do

put shell("cat yourfile > printer")

And lo and behold, the paper cutter instantly snips the paper!  The cash
drawer is certain to open as well now that the method is figured out.  It
is actually so simple to do, once you know how.  Like many things.

Peter