Newbie question

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 15:12:56 EST 2009

On 12/12/2009 22:05, Jim Bufalini wrote:
> Hi Richmond,
>

>> Oddly enough the database update in RevStudio 4 (Mac) didn't work,
>> leaving me
>> with an unusable Search Engine. Same "poo" with Ubuntu (both RevStudio
>> and RevMedia)
>>
>> Didn't have that problem with RevMedia 4 (Mac).
>>
>> Too "fried and crispy" after that to bother firing up the XP box to see
>> "what gives" over there.
>>
> There is a simple text file, which on PC is called
> SearchEngineStandardUrls.txt and found in the Documentation folder under
> your Rev version and release folder that hasn't been updated since before
> Eric died and is out of date. It's probably the cause of your problem. I had
> suggested earlier and will suggest again that this file get updated and
> moved to the plugins folder, so that it's not "different" every time you
> launch a different version of rev. The Revolution Search Engine really is a
> nice piece of work. It's just need to be brought current.

Yes, it is there on both Mac and Linux.

Actually, about 90% of these URLs don't seem to work anyway,
suggesting that is it really quite considerably outdated.

Obviously this is another "dark corner" that was neglected in
the "big push" we have witnessed recently; like most big pushes,
something always gets overlooked . . .  :)